Saturday, December 3, 2011

Rest and Trust

"Mother and Child" by Mary Cassatt

My three-year-old daughter loves to sit in my lap.

She will call out "Sit with me, Mommy! Sit with me!" while I'm doing the dishes or reading the mail or working on the computer. All she's asking me to do is sit on the couch and let her rest in my lap. That's it.

She has no other agenda when she calls for me to sit with her. Small children live in the moment. She is not like me, thinking of the dinner that must be made soon, and why is the cell phone company still billing me wrong, and oh my goodness when will bedtime get here?

She just wants to be with Mommy.

Psalm 131 says:

1 My heart is not proud, O LORD,
my eyes are not haughty;
I do not concern myself with great matters
or things too wonderful for me.
2 But I have stilled and quieted my soul;
like a weaned child with its mother,
like a weaned child is my soul within me.
3 O Israel, put your hope in the LORD
both now and forevermore.

That's what we should be like with God. Instead of worrying about what's coming next in life, we should simply rest in Him.

My little girl does not concern herself with dinner because she knows Mommy will take care of it. When she is hungry, she asks me for food, and she is certain she will get what she needs.

If only I could be like that with God!

Lord, help me to rest and trust in You, like a child trusts in her mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment