Monday, September 2, 2013

But I JUST washed up!

Have you ever just finished washing up after dinner, finally jamming every single dish that you can into the dishwasher and switching it on? And then, before you can even enjoy looking at the clean and empty sink, one of the kids brings up more dirty dishes?

Maybe it's just me, but I find that extremely frustrating.

Even worse is the kid who complains of being hungry right after you've finished putting everything away and wants to open up some more food and dirty up some more plates.

I tend to start yelling. ACK! STOP! I just washed that!

I mean, the LAST thing I want to see at the end of a long day is more stuff to wash!

Did you realize this actually happened to the disciples?


Luke 5:1-11:

One day as Jesus was standing by the Lake of Gennesaret,
the people were crowding around him and 
listening to the word of God. 
He saw at the water’s edge two boats, 
left there by the fishermen, who were washing their nets. 
He got into one of the boats, the one belonging to Simon, 
and asked him to put out a little from shore. 
Then he sat down and taught the people from the boat.
When he had finished speaking, he said to Simon, 
“Put out into deep water, and let down the nets for a catch.”
Simon answered, “Master, we’ve worked hard all night 
and haven’t caught anything. But because you say so, 
I will let down the nets.”
When they had done so,they caught such a large number 
of fish that their nets began to break. 
So they signaled their partners in the other boat 
to come and help them, and they came 
and filled both boats so full that they began to sink.
When Simon Peter saw this, he fell at Jesus’ knees 
and said, “Go away from me, Lord; I am a sinful man!” 
For he and all his companions were astonished 
at the catch of fish they had taken, 
10 and so were James and John, the sons of Zebedee, 
Simon’s partners. Then Jesus said to Simon, 
“Don’t be afraid; from now on you will fish for people.” 
11 So they pulled their boats up on shore, left everything and followed him.


I never noticed this before, but Peter and his partners were done fishing for the day. They had already washed up their nets and were ready to head inside for the day.

But here was Jesus, asking them to get the nets all dirty again!

I can understand why Peter said, "But we've fished all night! And we haven't caught ANYTHING!" They were tired, and the LAST thing they wanted to do was more work.

Amazingly, though, Peter had the faith to say, "But because You say so, Lord, I will let down the nets." And look how he was rewarded!

Lord help me to have the faith to see Your rewards in the midst of my weariness.

No comments:

Post a Comment