Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Difficult Passages in the Bible


There are some Scriptures I don't particularly care for.

Is is wrong of me to say that? Maybe, but I'll bet I'm not alone.

Seriously though, some Bible verses, IN PARTICULAR some of the sayings of Jesus Himself, are hard to understand. And even harder to accept if you do understand them.

Here's an example:

Luke 17:7-10
“Suppose one of you has a servant plowing or looking after the sheep. Will he say to the servant when he comes in from the field, ‘Come along now and sit down to eat’? Won’t he rather say, ‘Prepare my supper, get yourself ready and wait on me while I eat and drink; after that you may eat and drink’?Will he thank the servant because he did what he was told to do? 10 So you also, when you have done everything you were told to do, should say, ‘We are unworthy servants; we have only done our duty.’”

Okay. I don't like this.

I mean, is Jesus saying that when the servant comes in all sweaty and tired from the fields, he doesn't even deserve DINNER?! Not to mention a "thank you." Sheesh.

This is problematic. Especially if I'm the servant in question, because I'm tired. And thirsty. And hungry.

But a friend in my Sunday School class pointed out another way to look at this.

Rather than a denial of the servant's reward for his service, maybe Jesus meant this as an admonition against false pride.

After all, He tells us many times in the gospels that a reward awaits us in heaven, and that we we will receive rest and sustenance from Him. (Matt 16:27, Mark 9:41, Matt 11:28)

But He also says to be on guard against trusting in our own righteousness, and not to do our good deeds expecting a reward. (Matt 6:1, Luke 6:35)

So this passage tells us: Don't look for recognition when you're doing what you're supposed to do. Don't trumpet yourselves about saying, "Look at me! I help the less fortunate! I give to the needy!"

Lord, help me to remember that when I am serving others, I am only doing what I was made to do. Help me to seek no reward but Yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment