Wednesday, November 13, 2013

I want to be first in line



...Don't you?

I think we all want to be first in line, at least to some degree.

Last night a water main broke on the military post where I live, and we received notice that we should "conserve water" because it was going to "run out" by evening.


This made me want to run to the shower and get myself clean before someone else took all the water.

I didn't do it, but that was my first instinct. (In fact, I STILL haven't showered. Don't stand too close to me today.)

We all want to be first.

When I was in kindergarten, I learned this Bible verse at church: “Anyone who wants to be first must be the very last, and the servant of all.” (Mark 9:35 ) I was impressed by this bit of wisdom.

California Charter SchoolsSo I decided to apply this verse to my life at school. While the other kids were fighting over who would be Line Leader before lunch, I positioned myself at the very back of the line.

(image from www.huffingtonpost.com)

Then after lunch, lo and behold, THE TEACHER TURNED THE LINE AROUND.

I was first!

I was very pleased how this bit of Bible teaching had worked out so well.

Of course, the result was that I now had competition for last place as well. You can't win in this world, I tell you.

But of course, I was missing the point. If I had truly been placing myself last, I wouldn't want to be first at all!

This is a hard teaching to live out. Even the disciples had a problem with it. We all remember how they argued over who would be first in the kingdom, and jockeyed for positions closer to Jesus' right hand. It's in our human nature.

We all want to be first.

But Jesus calls us to live beyond ourselves... and put HIM first.

Matthew 20:25-28
25 Jesus called them together and said, “You know that the rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their high officials exercise authority over them. 26 Not so with you. Instead, whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, 27 and whoever wants to be first must be your slave— 28 just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.”

Lord help me to follow You instead of striving to be first.

No comments:

Post a Comment